Thursday, February 7, 2013

ASSESS YOUR SITUATION

 
Ok, call me a "prepper", although
I don't think I'm being too extreme about it. When we see other countries with no food in their stores for whatever political or logistical reason or another, why do we assume it would never happen in the U.S.?   We should realize that the people in those other countries thought the same thing. They were just wrong. ... and unprepared.
 
  I'm just saying it's smart to make sure you have access to food, water, medicine, etc., independent of your grocery store. How would you fare if there were even a short-term breakdown of the system that supplies food and water to your town?
 
Those of us who live in areas of the country with occasional below- freezing Winter temps, know only too well how easy it is to find yourself without electricity for your freezer and fridge...  or without safe drinking water for several days or a week.
 
At this moment, I am NOT prepared but am fully engaged in getting myself that way, as my budget allows.  I have ordered some of the things needed to put in some raised garden beds, am looking for free rain barrels and water storage options for drinking water.  I have plans to raise just a few chickens in my back yard.  I live in the city limits, but more and more townsfolk are passing ordinances that allow chickens within the city limits.  My town just happens to be already ok with that.
 
You know, I can't do (and don't want to do) a full-on farm or homestead.  I'm too old to keep up with that much work.  But if there is a trucker strike, or a tornado that takes out the roads to my town, or God forbid, most of the town itself... I will still have a supply of  my heart medicine.  I will have vegetables, fruits, cereals and fresh water, eggs and meat.
And if there is an emergency that requires evacuation, I plan to have a "bug out bag" already packed and sitting near my door, so all I have to do is grab it on my way out.
 
After watching some of the footage of the Katrina disaster, I realized I also need a contingency plan for my pets.  I have two dogs, and I would never want to see them stuck and starving the way those poor creatures were during and after Katrina. 
 I'm not advocating full-on survivalist techniques... although if that's your thing, go for it.  I'm saying assess your situation.  How prepared are YOU to live independent of the normal system of getting your food, water, and other necessary supplies? 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment